Chahte TamahaBryan CountyLocation: on US-70 at the eastern city limits of BokchitoMaterial: AluminumThis settlement was also called Choctaw City and was the site of Armstrong Academy, established by the Choctaw Nation in 1845. The Choctaw National Council met in the main hall of the academy for twenty years. Chahte Tamaha served as the Confederate capital during the Civil War. Delegates to a meeting of the United Nations of Indian Territory met here at the beginning of the Civil War to rally with the Confederacy. Armstrong Academy continued as a Choctaw boys school until a fire destroyed the building in 1920. Capital of the Choctaw Nation in Indian Territory for 20 years. Above background is a painting done by Kay Wiley Smith of Bokchito Ok in 1983 for a contest entered in and used on the cover of The Bryon County History Book.
Capturing the History of one of the most important locations in the Choctaw Nation Indian Territory
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places